Sunday, August 11, 2013

Guerlain Ecrin 2 Couleurs - Eight Duos Introduced with the Voilette de Madame Collection for Fall 2013

There are eight new, permanent Guerlain Ecrin 2 Couleurs eye shadow duos ($44.00) that were introduced with the Voilette de Madame Collection for Fall 2013. I selected two: 01 Two Rock, shown directly above, and 08 Two Spicy. Mine came from the Guerlain Boutique in Las Vegas, so I've had them for a week.

Guerlain’s new duo eye shadows are the perfect accessory for creating statement looks. Inside the slender gold case are two stunning colors: one a pure color and one a luminous veil. The pure color shadows are matte and intense, gliding on to create instant effect. The other serves as a veil, a sparkly or metallic texture that can add a layer of dazzling radiance.

The new shades are an interesting - and in some cases unconventional - mix. You must know how to use them, or you may be disappointed in them.
  • 01 Two Rock - dazzling green and black (shown above)
  • 02 Two Stylish - deep blue and metallic grey
  • 03 Two Extravagant - chocolate brown and zesty green
  • 04 Two Gossip - plum and baroque gold
  • 05 Two Candy - soft white and sparkling pink
  • 06 Two Parisian - intense black and powder pink
  • 07 Two Lovely - soft grey and aquamarine
  • 08 Two Spicy - ebony brown and spicy coral (shown directly below)
The packaging is luxe, with a shiny case and a velveteen pouch. Beyond that, these are not your everyday eye shadow duos. One side is very sparkly; the other ranges from satin to subtly sparkling - not really matte as Guerlain says. I'll call it satin here. The satin shadow applies as you would expect. The uber-sparkly side cannot be swiped on normally with an eye shadow brush. You will end up with sparkles everywhere, fall out in the compact and on your face, and little pigmentation - very little. Basically, a glitter-fest. You must apply the uber-sparkly side with a short-haired, stiff eye shadow brush and pat the color on, stippling, making it one with your skin. It helps to use a primer. That way, you get the color, not just a bunch of glitter. Although Guerlain calls it a veil to enhance the other shade, why would we need more than one "veil"?

The uber-sparkly shadows in these duos remind me of Bobbi Brown's metallics that are all glitter and no color. These are better. You can actually get the color, but only with the right technique.

I was able to achieve good color for my photos because I swatched with a sponge-tipped applicator, which also lays down enough color if you pat the color in the compact and then pat or swipe it onto your eyelids. A regular eye shadow brush would not have laid down even color. I took my photos in full, early morning sunshine yesterday.

The two shades in 01, Two Rock, are shown at the top of my arm. The green is gorgeous. The charcoal black adds dimension that defines the eye beautifully, although I'll save it for nighttime. Applied over the green? Not very exciting to me. It adds glitter and looks like soot.

Two Spicey (08) is shown below Two Rock. The brown-peach combination might be ordinary if it weren't for the incredibly sparkly peach. I applied the medium chocolate brown very heavily - not necessary for normal wear.  The peach is more daytime-wearable than Two Rock's charcoal, but not by much. Still, it's a gorgeous color, and I'm pleased with my choice. It looks good when layered over the brown.

What looks the most wonderful is the combination of the aqua from Two Rock with a lightly applied brown from Two Spicy. Try it.

I purchased mine at Guerlain’s boutique in Las Vegas. The Voilette de Madame collection is available now at the Guerlain Boutiques and Neiman Marcus. Those locations received the collection early. I'm not sure about Bergdorf Goodman. The new duos will be available at select additional locations at Saks Fifth Avenue, Nordstrom, Bloomingdale's, and Sephora this month.

Photo at top courtesy of Guerlain; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

2 comments:

angusmum1 said...

I have a few shadows that have a similar concept and I find myself reluctant to use the glittery shade. Lise Watier makes beautiful cream shades in a pot with glitter underneath in the same colour. I own 4, just got a beautiful cream taupe LE from summer collection. I just dont know how to make it wearable I feel like I am trying to hard to look too yoiung? I do need some assistance next time they are in store I will do so, you have piqued my interest

Unknown said...

The satin-finish green is absolutely beautiful, sagey and seafoamy all at once. And it looks so different in-pan compared to the swatch!