Monday, January 7, 2013

Maybelline New Color Whisper by Color Sensational for Spring 2013

Drugstore makeup displays don't usually stop me in my tracks, but the new Maybelline Color Whisper display did. I was at CVS and had zero extra time. Still I stopped. I think the 20 pretty colors and the promise of a sheer, gel formula piqued my curiosity just enough, and the buy one, get a second for 50% offer pushed me over the edge. Two came home with me.

With no way to test the colors, I guessed at two I might like. I selected one what looked cool-toned and one that looked warmer. Pin Up Peach (#30) is shown at left directly above, and Lust for Blush (#25) is shown at right. Both are really nice, although I would like for Lust to Blush to be just a bit darker.

Maybelline's pitch for these focuses on:
  • Pure color pigments suspended in a weightless gel, 
  • No heavy waxes or oils, and  
  • Soft, sexy gel-color. 
I love them! I may have to go back and pick up a few more shades. I took swatch photos in full sun.

Pin Up Peach is shown at the top of my arm, with Lust for Blush below. Aren't they pretty? They offer beautiful sheer color and shine, and they feel fabulous on the lips - extremely hydrating.

They have no discernible fragrance or taste (a plus for me), and they compare perfectly to many luxury lipsticks I wear. They remind me of Revlon Lip Butters, a favorite of many women - myself included.

How can you beat the price? Look for a Revlon BOGO or other discount offer, and you won't even pay the retail price of that ranges from about $6.00 to $7.50, depending on store.

You know I don't feature many drugstore products. These lipsticks are worth your attention. Now, if you will excuse me, I'm going up to CVS for more.

Photo at top courtesy of Maybelline; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

30 comments:

kellinicole86 said...

How would you compare these to the Revlon Lip Butters?

VancouverChic said...

Wow!!! What color - I love them. I will be on the lookout for them in Canada!!!! Can't wait too.
Affordable - just love it.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Kellinicole,

I think they may feel a bit lighter than Lip Butters, but VERY similar in concept.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi VancoverChic!

We got them at my store last week. Hope you get them soon. So affordable, I did go get three more, and I got a $5 Extra Bucks coupon. Yea!

Biz Morris Haselwandter said...

Now those are a bargain compared to Chanel Rouge Coco Shine but appear similar in finish. Is that about right?

Charlestongirl said...

Oh yeah, Biz Morris. Bargain. However, they are not like Rouge Coco Shine at all. They have much less pigment. Consider them like well-tinted balms. Tbey are more like YSL Sheer Candy shades.

Carrie Meredith said...

Out of all the major drugstore brands, Maybelline rarely disappoints me. I'm obsessed with their VolumExpress Plush mascara, Color Tattoo eyeshadows, and many other things. When I saw the ad for these lipsticks in a magazine, I hoped they would be as good as your report says they are. Hooray and Heck Yeah for BOGOs!

Charlestongirl said...

Hey Carrie!

I bought two of those Color Tattoo eye shadows last week. Can't wait to photograph. Everyone here knows I live in Maybelline's DEFINE-A-LASH Mascara.

Brenda Penton said...

Beautiful shades! Haven't seen them here in Newfoundland yet, I will definitely be keeping my eyes peeled for these!

Virginie said...

You made me laugh!!!! Those colors!! I have to check them out. I have 2 lip butter from Revlon, just font like them! They are drying my lips....I hope these ones are not like that...

grlnxdor said...

These look like something I need to check out asap. Love the two you featured, Charlestongirl, but I have the dreaded "corpse-lips" so if these are too sheer I'll need to look at the darker colors. Are there any?

Charlestongirl said...

Hope you get them there, Brenda.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Virginie,

I must have the driest lips on earth and find them hydrating.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi grlnxdor,

I went and purchased three darker ones this afternoon. I haven't had time to try them. I will let you know tomorrow. I think they will be nicely pigmented.

elizab-tch said...

Looking forward to your review of the colour tattoos! It's strange, but I finally broke down and bought a colour tattoo, as well as two l'oreal infallibles. I should add this is very unlike me, my cream eyeshadows are all chanel, armani and Laura mercier! I just couldn't ignore the rave reviews any longer (I tried!) and guess what? I wasn't disappointed!

Becca @ The Beauty Sample said...

This type of sheer, shiny, balmy lipstick is ALWAYS a hit with me. I am definitely getting Pin Up Peach...and probably several other shades! :D

Running with Scissors said...

Lovely. I will keep my eye out for them in Aust, but they will probably be about $23 each

Sigh.

Gauri said...

Nice review :) I want to try them too. The swatches look so good...

Charlestongirl said...

Hi elizab-tch,

Same here. Had to try, and they were on sale.

Charlestongirl said...

Me too, Becca!

Charlestongirl said...

Christy, really? That's the currency difference?

Charlestongirl said...

Are they readily accessible, Gauri?

Suki said...

Thanks, CG! So glad you put up this review. I'm in love with the Revlon Lip Butters but now I may have a new love. Off to CVS to check these out...along with my $20 Rewards Bucks coupon. Just think how many how I can get with that.

Running with Scissors said...

No CG, that's not the currency difference. In fact our dollars are pretty much even now.

It's the bloody mark-up and I guess import tax we pay on overseas make-up.

So. Annoying.

VancouverChic said...

Hi ya C-Girl,
Haven't seen them yet. But I will say I would love to go shopping with you! lol lol We would have a blast!
Addicted to make-up!!!!
Warm Regards,
Joanne

szilva33 said...

Awesome!It's really good to see that it is possible to find high quality products within drugstore lines as well.As I totally belive in your expertise,will most probably try them:)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Suki,

I don't remember getting my rewards coupon. I must look at my receipts.

Charlestongirl said...

Yikes, Christy. That's terrible.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Joanne,

I love beauty shopping, but it is hazardous to my wallet. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi szilva33,

It's definitely possible. Unfortunately, I've found I buy a lot of yukky stuff for the products I really love.