Thursday, December 1, 2011

Le Métier de Beauté Antiquité Poupée Kaleidoscope Eye Kit

Le Métier de Beauté's limited-edition Antiquité Poupée Kaleidoscope Eye Kit ($95), designed by the incomparable Dustin Lujan, launched a few days early at Bergdorf Goodman. I received mine yesterday - in a box autographed by Dustin!

To recap my earlier feature, which you can see at this link, the shades in Antiquité Poupée are shades that Dustin says are perfect for every skin tone. Here is how he describes them.
  • The Dusty Rose on the top looks similar to Champagne, but it’s not the same shade. There's almost a little grey tone to it. It's pearlized for a special glow.
  • Burlap Sorrel is a dusty brown, a multi-toned brown and grey actually, that's slightly luminous.
  • Tarnished Russet, the shade Dustin says "makes" the Kaleidoscope, is matte. He wanted it to be flat, but not lifeless. It's a flat rust tone that's warming. Rust embodies antiques (and the doll). You can use it with the other shades in the Kaleidoscope, or use alone by using Refresh Eye Brightening and Setting Powder and gently dusting the color on lid.
  • Ember Ash at the bottom is a blue-based charcoal, with slight radiance, but no glitter or pearl to the finish.
I quickly swatched it today. I applied each shade heavily with a sponge-tipped applicator, giving the shades more oomph than they have when applied "normally" with an eye shadow brush - or the crease brush Dustin prefers. I swatched from Dusty Rose at the top to Ember Ash at the bottom. Then I did a quick blend to show you one option for layering the shades.

These shades, with the exception of the rusty Tarnished Russet, will look gorgeous on my eyelids when worn alone or paired with other Le Métier de Beauté shades I love. The top two are "darn-near perfect" for me! OK, maybe they are perfect (she says with a big smile). Tarnished Russet does exactly what it's supposed to do when blended with other shades; it warms them. Let's take a quick peek at each shade.

Dusty Rose is a peachy rose on my skin. It gleams without glitter. It's absolutely exquisite. So is Burlap Sorrel, described by Dustin as dusty brown-grey, it's a luminous taupe to my eye - seriously breathtaking. OK, then there's the rust shade. Fine for some of you, but not a shade I can wear without bending. Maybe I'm too conservative. I'm sure Dustin could show me how to wear it alone, but he doesn't seem to want to leave home and visit us lately. Ember Ash is stunning. Have I used too many superlatives yet? Dustin was spot-on in describing the blue-based charcoal. It's radiant without sparkle. The shade leaps off my arm - don't you agree?

Let's blend. I'll admit I did a blended swatch too quickly. I should have taken my time, but instead I got excited and just slapped the shades on, one over the other. I can see where my Tarnished Russet is a little uneven, the result of my slap-dash blend. Nevertheless, the blended shade is beautiful to my eye. It's a warm, dusty taupe! As a total taupe addict, I'm extremely happy.

The pretty ornament was packaged separately from my Kaleidoscope in a gift box. It will dazzle on a white gold chain. I intend to wear mine - and send positive vibes Dustin's way when I do.

I think that all of the Antiquité Poupée Kaleidoscopes sold out. You never know, though. More may be produced, or some crazy woman might return one, unused. Call Dustin at the Le Métier de Beauté counter at Bergdorf Goodman at (212) 872-8612 if you want one.

Update 12/2: News from Dustin! Because the Antiquité Poupée Kaleidoscopes sold out so quickly, Bergdorf Goodman is ordering 60 more! Definitely call him if you want to be on the pre-sale list for the second batch.

Photos by Best Things in Beauty

35 comments:

http://moderngirl.jurna.ro/ said...

The ornament is great! So classy! And the shadows simply awesome!

Unknown said...

Very nice, even though you think the blended swatch is slap-dash, I think it shows the layered result very well. Thank you for sharing your pictures.

Maggie said...

My goodness is that ever drool-worthy. I bought my first LMdB shadow when I was in NYC earlier this year, and I've been pining for more ever since. Would you happen to know if the kits always limited edition, or do they have some that are part of the regular stock?

PS - Just found your blog! Love it. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Modern Girl,

Isn't that ornament special? Dustin wanted each of us to have something permanent - a reminder of his wonderful Kaleidoscope!

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, Modesty Brown! I'll have to work harder in the next few days to get multiple blended swatch photos.

Charlestongirl said...

Thank you, Maggie!

Actually, I don't know of a single Kaleidoscope that's permanent. Eventually, all of them sell out. The only ones that seem to be available right now are the Mediterranean Holiday Eye Kit from summer, the Écumes D’or Lip Kit from summer, and the Classic Flawless Finish Face Kit that seems to be "sticking around." I think that's the only one my closest Neiman Marcus still has.

xiao said...

You still have Penelope and Ecumes at your counter?!

Charlestongirl said...

Nope, Xiao, not at mine, but they have appeared at certain stores in the recent past. It wouldn't surprise me if they are gone gone.

MikkiD said...

I received mine 2 days ago and used the rust color as a blusher - very nice!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi MikkiD!

That's what I usually do with the reds. Works nicely, doesn't it?

Swathi Narumanchi said...

I love the third color ! So pretty !

Charlestongirl said...

Swathi, if you like rust, I have an idea. :)

Cindy's Societal said...

I will be wearing the third shade on my cheeks too!! I love scary blush shades, they always turn out better than expected on me since i have a medium colouring :)

Charlestongirl said...

I tried it this afternoon, Girl's Guide! Looked amazingly nice, and rust isn't my color.

Cindy's Societal said...

Ahhhhh :) The rust colour reminds me a little of Korres Coral blush which is one of my faves ;) I can't wait to have my grubby paws on it!

Thanks for your great review too, your swatches turn out so beautifully!

Charlestongirl said...

:) Thank you!

Mkupgrl said...

I want Ecumes dor bad! Where have you seen it? I thought it was just at bergdorf and missed it after only three days! : ( If its at neimans let me know!

Charlestongirl said...

Update! BG is trying to get 60 more. Stay tuned!

Charlestongirl said...

Mkupgrl, I will see if Kathy can find you one tomorrow. Or just call her at 703-761-1600, ext. 3282.

MarciaF said...

If anyone is looking for Le Cirque, I saw it yesterday at the Novi Michigan Le Metier counter at Nordstrom. I don't know the phone number but it shouldn't be hard to find the stores number and then ask for the Le Metier counter.

I'd love to buy Dustin's Kaleidoscope but the rust does scare me too. I love how the colors blended though.

Unknown said...

I need a Le Metier de Beaute - Kaleidoscope Antiqueté Poupée-can I still get one?
help me please

Anonymous said...

I used mine for a first time this morning. Came out great, considering I was in a rush. Cant wait for a weekend to play with it more.
The rust color gives the look wonderfull pinkish overcast.

Jackie said...

I absolutely LOVE this palette! I have been wearing it for 3 days and it is stunning! I spoke with Dustin on the phone and he was so nice. I am definitely going to see if he can do my makeup the next time I am in NYC.

I really want Come One, Come All. Did anyone buy one that has Silk Road and doesn't want both?? I would be happy to buy it from them:)

Charlestongirl said...

Jackie, I sent your query to one person I know wasn't happy with the Silk Road dupes, but I haven't heard back from her yet.

Charlestongirl said...

Hey Marcia! Thanks for the news on the K availability!!

Try the rust as a blusher. It looks good. It's also nice layered. Alone on my skin? Yuk, but on those with darker skin (not you), it will look great worn alone.

Kate said...

Hi Charlestongirl,

After seeing your lovely pictures, I called LMdB this afternoon to reserve mine. I passed the first time around (how I managed that restraint I have no idea!), but after hearing they were making 60 more, well, the universe clearly wanted us to be together! Oh, and when I spoke to Dustin, I name-dropped that your blog was the reason I knew they were making more! Thanks for sharing that information with your readers! Have a lovely weekend!

Kate

MikkiD said...

The lovely Patrice from Northpark Dallas NM tried to find a Le Cirque Kaleidoscope for me and found out that the John Barrett Salon inside Bergdorf's sells Le Metier and had Le Cirque. I called right away and they asked me how many I wanted! I've been searching for months and not willing to pay $200 on eBay kept searching. Thank you Patrice and John Barrett!!!!

Jackie said...

Thank you so much for trying to help me out. I really appreciate it.

Charlestongirl said...

Yea, Kate! Thank you.

Charlestongirl said...

Congratulations on the score, MikkiD!

Jessica said...

I would love to get Le Metier Le Cirque. Alas, it is quite difficult because I live in Australia.

I wonder whether any kind soul would be able to assist.

Charlestongirl said...

Jessica, I can get it for you, BUT I just sent two to Australia, and the shipping with insurance was Postal robbery! $38.10! It will be probably $20 to send one.

If you want, e-mail me at bestthingsinbeauty@gmail.com.

Jackie said...

Hi. Did you ever hear back from your contact regarding the Come One, Come All palette? Thank you again so much for your help with this.

Charlestongirl said...

Yes, the info for meeting up is on the post where you commented. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Mkupgrl, it was Antiquité Poupée that BG was getting 60 more of, not Écumes D'or. Sorry about the excitement!