Saturday, May 14, 2011

Raychel Wade's Bouquet de Jardin Colour Collection for La Prairie

Recently, I featured Raychel Wade's stunning new Bouquet de Jardin color collection for La Prairie. It's a burst of color, wrapped in luxury. This week, I had an opportunity to visit with Raychel, one of my favorite beauty experts. We caught up on her collection, and she showed me how she would use Les Calla Lilies Eye Colour Ensemble on me.

Raychel founded Cheek to Chic Makeup Consulting in 2002. Her charismatic personality, combined with her eye for color, skillful application, and simple - yet beautiful - makeup quickly earned her a loyal clientele. Raychel identified a niche in the cosmetics market for makeup application and education with a real focus on personalized attention. She became the Colour Ambassador for La Prairie in 2009 (I think I've got the year right). While she has consulted on La Prairie's color since then, she created her own collection for La Prairie's spring/summer launch. She has been working hard too. Raychel has already created the holiday collection for this year and is finishing the spring 2012 collection. You have seen Raychel's work in national magazines, on Fashion Week runways, and on television. She's one of the best.

I asked Raychel about her inspiration for Bouquet de Jardin. She has had a photograph of a peony on her desktop and said that peonies represent the many shades of spring to her. She loves the way a single peony can have as much impact as a vase full.

The collection aptly paints a canvass of pinks and plums for cheeks and lips, with soft, romantic shades for the eyes. Raychel wanted to create a color palette that would be universally flattering to all skin tones. I'd say she succeeded. She was using Les Calla Lilies on a gal with Mediterranean skin when I saw her this week, and it was extraordinary. On me? Entirely different, but just as flattering.

Raychel has the eye to ensure that the shades she chose for the collection, and the variety of finishes, would all coordinate perfectly. She wanted to provide a spring wardrobe. You don't have to wear all the shades together every day; there are many looks. Mixing and matching with your current favorites is allowed (she writes with a smile). Raychel and I talked about colors from other lines this week - colors I like. She asked about the Dior gloss I was wearing (always has that eye for color!). I had it on primarily because it fits perfectly in the pocket of my jeans - and it's a pretty shade.

I was wearing Cellular Radiance Cream Blush in Plum Glow (from her collection) when I met with Raychel. If I can brag for Raychel, it looks fabulous. The blush applies like silk and leaves behind a natural glow that is going to work for almost everyone (not sure about the darkest skins). The punchier shade, Mauve Glow, is best for when I want to look "cheeky," with an emphasis on my rosy cheeks instead of my eyes or lips.

I asked Raychel about the shades in Les Calla Lilies quad. I told her that when I had seen them at Neiman Marcus Mazza Gallerie in February (at their blogger party), my first impression was "too pink for me." I discovered the second I applied them on my skin that the colors are much more brown than they appear in the pans. Raychel confirmed that she's not a "purple girl" either and that the shades were designed to offer warm and cool tones that work for everyday wear. La Prairie says the shades go effortlessly from light and natural to fun and flirty. I agree.

She used the two palette shades on the left in the photo above, with the lighter shade on the lid and the subtly shimmering brown-mauve in the crease. It looked great even before she used the brown-plum shade as a liner. Suddenly, I was "all dressed up." It's too bad I had nowhere to go.

There are four looks in La Prairie's booklet for Bouquet de Jardin. I will get scans of them and feature them next week. I think you'll enjoy seeing the many different faces of the new collection. I'll also share some of Raychel's "Secrets of the Trade."

My photo above doesn't do justice to Raychel. She's beautiful inside and out - such a warm person. Her dress and jewelry were a gorgeous accompaniment. I was surprised that she wasn't wearing peony shades, the theme of the collection. Maybe that would have been too campy? Her pretty long hair was pulled back in a pony tail, which emphasized her classic features and gorgeous necklace. Raychel does have an eye!

Photos by Best Things in Beauty and La Prairie

No comments: