Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Living Proof Hold Flexible Hairspray

Living Proof has a new hair spray, and it's definitely worth checking out! I saw Living Proof Hold Flexible Hairspray ($24) at Sephora last weekend. Having recently started using - and loving - Living Proof Straight Making No Frizz Styling Spray for Fine to Medium Hair, I was intrigued.

Hair spray and I have such a difficult relationship. I need hair spray, but hate hair sprays that are heavily scented or make my hair stiff as a board. That rules out a lot of respected products. So, at Sephora, the first thing I did was spray the tester on my arm to check for fragrance. This one has a fragrance, but it's fresh and citrusy. I can deal with that, especially since the fragrance fades over the day.

What doesn't fade is its holding power. It holds my style! Here's what Sephora and Living Proof say in describing it.

Hold Flexible Hairspray modernizes hairspray and allows you to maintain your style without fear of collapsing [editorial note: I assume they mean without fear of your hair style collapsing]. Featuring the revolutionary No Frizz technology, Hold is perfect for all hair types. It effectively blocks humidity, adds shine, and protects style. Hold's technology is buildable - the more you spray the firmer the hold - but without flaking and dullness.

Here, more or less, is what the can says.

Humidity is your hair style's #1 enemy - making some hair frizzy and other hair limp and flat (mine included). That's why Living Proof's scientists invented PolyfluoroEster, a new molecule featured in Hold Flexible Hairspray that prevents the damaging effects of humidity. Hold can be layered for a light or strong finish, leaving your hair soft and natural feeling.

The first time I used it, I think I held the can too close to my hair when I sprayed. As a result, I got a heavy dose. My hair is so fine, it's easy to overdo hair spray. The second time I used it, I was better with the distance and nozzle, and I succeeded in spraying just the right amount of product for an effective all-day hold. Nice!

Living Proof has developed legions of fans with its frizz-fighting products. I checked out the reviews on Sephora's Web site after I came home with my new hair spray, and they were overwhelmingly good. It appears that Living Proof has another hit on its hands!

You can purchase this hair spray at Sephora, where I got mine. Or you can buy it at Living Proof's Web site. Let me know what you think!

Photo courtesy of Sephora

9 comments:

Cindy said...

Dying to try this! I love Living Proof's Full Thickening Cream and had been wondering about this hairspray. Thx for the review!

Charlestongirl said...

Hey there, Cindy,

I am glad I bought it. Another super product in my humidity-fighting arsenal! And in Northern Virginia, we need all the help we can get.

Thanks!

LivingProofGal said...

Thank you so much for your great review! It's nice to see you played around with it to get the best results--a lot of the time, all it takes is a little experimenting to get the perfect application and that goes with a lot of our products. If you ever want a stronger hold on your style, just keep on layering it on--you won't even need to spray it that close to your head!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi! Thanks for stopping by and the kind words!

Unknown said...

i am also like you- i do not like using hair sprays even though my hair gets frizzy a lot. most sprays make my hair too limp or too stiff. the only one that is lightweight and also does a great job is Johnathan high shine spray. it is a bit pricey and i did end up giving it away since i personally will never use it up. but it was the greatest hair spray i ever tried for my frizzy thin hair.

Charlestongirl said...

Anna, you loved it, but you gave it away? It would have lasted forever!

Pam said...

It sounds like it would really be a good product. I've been a "Shaper" addict for years and would love to try something new BUT $24.00 a can!!! OMG!!! They are getting ridiculous with this stuff.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Pam,

Sign up for all the newsletters so that you can get special offers and discounts when they are available. I save a lot of money that way!

Sephora has Friends & Family now and then, and Living Proof may also offer specials.

I keep to-buy lists and often wait until there's a deal being offered. :)

Anonymous said...

I have thin, fly away hair that can't handle a lot of product. What works for me is the Shielo Flexible Hair Spray. This hairspray is perfect - it's super light and smells great. You can still work with your hair afterwards. If you are looking for a stiffer hairspray, I would not recommend this. This one is great for curls that you don't want to douse in nasty stick hairspray or weigh down.