Monday, March 15, 2010

Interview with Nick Chavez of Beverly Hills - Keeping it Gorgeous from Coast to Coast

The Herald de Paris recently published an interview with Nick Chavez. I was given permission to share it with you. Long - but fun - reading! It reminded me that you should chase your dreams in life. Your course isn't set as long as you follow your heart.

World class hair designer Nick Chavez dreamed of one day having an exciting and glamorous life. But he had to step way out his cultural comfort zone in order to become one of the premiere hair stylists and product innovators in Beverly Hills.

Chavez was raised in rural Arizona, a product of a large, loving, and very supportive Mexican-American family. Nick is the second oldest of seven children. His third cousin was the legendary farm worker leader Cesar Chavez.

Focused and hard-working, Nick earned money for his family by working as a ranch hand. Fortuitously, and as fate would have it, he discovered the hair skills that changed his life forever while grooming the family’s horses. With confidence, determination, and a viscerally unique sense of style, Nick began making money by grooming other people’s horses. He then took his natural talents to the next level by creating hip and trendy hairstyles for his siblings and members of his extended family.

After perfecting his talents on his very receptive relatives, Nick decided to go California to seek fame and fortune. Personable, handsome, and ambitious, he immediately began working in a prominent Beverly Hills salon. He advanced from apprentice to full-fledged hairdresser, developing a strong clientele and an even stronger reputation as a hair designer.

While establishing himself in Beverly Hills, he decided to stretch his wings and explore other forms of artistic expression. Nick became an actor and model. By extending his visibility to Europe, he was afforded the opportunity to work with such designers as Dior, Richard Tyler, Jean Paul Gautier, Gianfranco Ferre, Yves St. Laurent, Versace, Yohji Yamamoto, Giorgio Armani, Claude Montana, Thierry Mugler, and Valentino. Off the runway, in print Nick was featured on the pages of American & Paris Vogue, GQ, Elle, Esquire, Details, Interview, Vanity Fair, and L’uomo Vogue. As an actor, his skills and good looks helped him land commercials for Coca-Cola, Mazda, Valvoline, Taco Bell, L’Oreal, and Sebastian Hair Care Products. You would see him on television shows such as “The Young and the Restless,” “Moonlighting,” and “Hollywood Detectives.”

Having conquered the expressive platform of modeling and performance art, he knew that acting and modeling could not match the passion and fulfillment he experienced working with hair. Nick decided to return to Beverly Hills - this time as the proprietor of his own salon.

In his first year, his salon garnered well-known clientele, including supermodel Margaux Hemmingway, Lisa Hartmann, Different Strokes actress Dana Plato, The Bangles lead singer Susanna Hoff, Facts of Life stars Kim Fields and Mindy Cohn, and Belinda Carlisle of the Go Go’s.

Nick was not satisfied with the quality of available hair care products for his varied clientele. Staying true to his industrious character, he took matters into his own hands and developed his own line: Nick Chavez Beverly Hills. His successful line of products is currently sold nationwide at Ulta retail stores and featured on home shopping channels such as QVC. After 16 years of experience, Nick has a following that numbers in the millions. In addition, Nick’s products are widely sold through the Internet and, of course, his own Web site.

Herald de Paris West Coast Editor USA, Al Carlos Hernandez, had an opportunity to connect with Nick, who had just returned from Japan.

AC: How and when did you decide to become a hair designer? What did your family say about this non-traditional vocation? What kind of training have you had?

It happened when I was 11 years old. I was cutting the manes and tails of show horses when I realized that if I could cut horse hair as well as I did, maybe I wouldn’t be too bad at cutting people’s hair. My mom and dad were very, very supportive of my career choice. My greatest clients ended up being my brother and sisters – they were the guinea pigs. As far as training, I’d have to say real-life experience and an apprentice stint at Beverly Hills salon Umberto.

AC: Who inspired you to pursue your vocation? What were some of the opposed views to your choice of vocation?

My inspiration came from my mom and dad who always told me, “You can always be or do what you want in this life and be the best at what you love.” I think when you have passion for the arts you don’t have any opposition.

AC: Who has been your greatest supporter? What are the biggest obstacles you have had to overcome?

My family members have been my biggest supporters. One of the biggest obstacles I had to overcome was knowing that I had to leave my hometown (living on a farm in Yuma, Arizona) to move to Beverly Hills.

AC: What was your first early success? What was the moment you decided, “I have a gift and a talent for this?”

When I was featured in a magazine called Tiger Beat, they named me “the Beverly Hills Stylist to the Stars.” My first year out I was doing Dana Plato from Different Strokes and Mindy Cohn and Kim Fields from Facts of Life. It made me feel great because I knew I was on the right track and, with hard work, I knew I would be a success.

AC: Tell us about your acting and theatrical experiences? Why didn’t you act full time? What was your greatest acting success? Why did you quit?

I was featured on Young and The Restless, Moonlighting, Hollywood Detectives, numerous national commercials and modeling campaigns, in print work, and on the runway for major designers around the world, even billboards in Times Square. I loved the creative aspect of being able to use my hands to make women look beautiful - as opposed to standing in front of the camera or walking down a catwalk. So I went back to what I loved the most.

AC: Do you view yourself as a technician or an artist? How much does personality have to do with being the best at what you do?

Easily I would have to say artist. Personality is everything - you really have to have a rapport with your clients; you have to listen to them and be creative. You have to make them look beautiful and give them a great, positive experience in your chair. They bring the portrait (their face), and I frame it with my hair style.

AC: I’m told that hair designers andcolorists are hair therapists. How much of doing what you do is the result of good work or the result of personality vibes?

It is the combination of both – you can’t have one without the other if you want to be a success.

AC: How hard is it to run a successful Beverly Hills business while trying to manage a group of talented and often times dramatic artists? Why do they want to work for you?

As a salon owner/hair stylist, I am only as good as my employees. We empower each other.

AC: How did you go from West Coast rock star hair designer to an internationally known expert with his own product line?

As a hair stylist, I felt a need to create my own brand instead using different national brands. I thought about how great it would be to create the best hair spray, the best shampoo, etc. that could work on everyone’s hair across the board. I wanted to customize my art with the perfect products. The Nick Chavez Beverly Hills hair care line currently has over 100 products and counting.

AC: Why did you decided to come out with your own product line and what makes your products different and competitive? How has new media changed the way products are marketed?

The media has enabled my company to reach a broader range of customers. I can bring my line right into my customers’ living rooms. I bring Beverly Hills to them. My Web site has also been a great marketing tool. Through my site I’m able to present everything from the products to news to blogs to appearances. From there we have a Facebook page and a Twitter account @NickChavezBH.

AC: What are some of the projects you are involved in right now? Where do you see the industry going over the next 10 years?

The continuation of shopping networks on television, such as QVC, then e-commerce Web sites, then accessibility. Shopping on phones, planes, trains, and cars worldwide is accelerating at a fast pace. It’s immediate gratification for shoppers. We just released the Nick Chavez iPhone application; it’s literally hair care at your fingertips.

AC: How has the recession affected the hair business over the last few years? What do you tell folks who use retail store products in order to save money?

As the recession continues, we have all learned to buckle down and focus on what we are promoting, selling, and bringing to our customers. One of the great things about my products is that they are super-sized and highly concentrated, with great ingredients, technology, and innovative formulas. My Latino and American background are combined by mixing my ancient traditions with modern technology. My products create that healthy everyday glamour.

AC: What do you tell young people who want to get into the business? Could they make a decent living in the industry? What should be their prime motivation for becoming a hair stylist?

Live your dreams and think big! Have passion for what you do. That is a formula for success.

AC: What are some of the differences between the East Coast and the West Coast when it comes to setting industry trends and innovation? Which coast is really at the forefront of innovation and national trends?

Not to sound political, but I feel that both coasts contribute equally. The culture is huge on each coast. New York is one of the fashion capitals of the world; the influence that comes from the fashion industry in New York is tremendous. As for the West Coast, Los Angeles is the entertainment capital of the world. The influence that celebrities have is incredible. To be part of the momentum is a blessing.

AC: What are some of the goals you still have not have achieved? What do you want the world to know about you?

I always want to inspire other hairdressers and anyone in the beauty business.

AC: At this point, what would you like your legacy to be?

I have been really blessed. I love what I do and I hope I inspired others to become who they want to be. It doesn’t matter where you come from.

Nick believes that confidence is “hot.”

Photos courtesy of Nick Chavez Beverly Hills

4 comments:

Angela K. said...

I love hisAngel Wings Hair Paste - it's perfect for shaping a pixie cut. Not heavy like some other pastes.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Angela!

I like Flocker, which I wrote about months ago. Despite its funny name, it adds volume without weighing down my hair - a miracle, actually.

Angela K. said...

Yes, I want to try the Flocker! To get the messy, piecey look I want, I really need to use a root booster (or volumizer) of some kind in addition to a texturizing paste. Otherwise, I get a helmet effect - not cute! So the Flocker is attractive to me (especially since I don't like the products I currently use!). After I use up some of the other products, plan to get it.

I first tried Nick Chavez products just a month ago & I'm hooked! I like that they don't smell weird like some of the Redken products. (I think their Rough Paste smells like rotting rose petals). Nick Chavez products have a nice, clean scent (similar to some of the Aveda products I've used).

Charlestongirl said...

Too funny, Angela! You hit one of my pet peeves about hair products: how they smell. Some of the most famous ones smell like a raccoon in heat - or rotting rose petals. :) You have given me a new line!