Wednesday, November 11, 2009

L'Artisan Parfumeur Havana Vanille

L'Artisan Parfumeur's latest introduction, Havana Vanille, officially launches this month. Called the fragrance of a magical place, Havana Vanille was created by perfumer Bertrand Duchaufour to evoke "travels around the world, the nostalgia of crossing the seven seas to discover far-off treasures, and the smell of a wooden boat mingling with the aroma of rum and spice." From its vibrant Salsa rhythms to its famous cigars and rum, the mystique of Havana, Cuba, was bottled by Duchaufour. Worked for me!

Just in case you haven't figured it out, I'm most comfortable with florals and fruits. Too many spices trigger my cut-and-run instincts. This one is different. I first wore it on my wrist, a place I could easily scrub to remove it if my nose said enough. I didn't have to scrub; I found my nose wandering to my wrist for frequent whiffs.

At the soul of the fragrance is the Mexican vanilla pod soaked in aged rum, the makings of a good exotic drink. There are notes of clove (which I don't smell), crystallized dried fruit, rum, mandarin orange, leather, tobacco, powder, honey, narcissus, tonka bean, balms, smoked woods, vetiver, and musks around a vanilla absolute that's dry, creamy, mellow, and addictive. You'll be the exotic drink wearing this one. Men will lean into it to inhale the seductive, yet charming blend of sweet and spicy scents. In fact, men may want to wear this fragrance.

Vanilla fragrance lovers will find Havana Vanille unique, complex, and sophisticated. You would think the world has enough vanilla-based fragrances, and then along comes one that's unique and powerful. If you love fragrances with vanilla, spices, tobacco, and woods, you will want to seek out this one. Even if you don't think you love those fragrances, like me, you may like this one. Bill at Art with Flowers, who provided me with the pre-release sample, isn't going to believe I like it!

As soon as supplies arrive this month, you will find Havana Vanille at Art with Flowers at the Tysons Galleria, Bluemercury, and Henri Bendel. You can order a sample from L'Artisan's Web site, and, I'm sure, you can order the fragrance when it's available. It will cost $115 or $155 for 50 ml or 100 ml, respectively.

Don't forget that you're invited to a party the afternoon of November 15 at Art with Flowers. DC locals will find fragrances, gifts, and flowers galore (this is where I buy the orchids for my office). Join the party, and you will save 5% on all purchases by mentioning Best Things in Beauty when you pull out that credit card. You'll have fun too. Art with Flowers has fabulous parties! And you can smell and pre-order Havana Vanille if it moves you, but hasn't arrived.

Happy Veterans Day, and to all of our veterans, our sincere thanks for your service!

Photo courtesy of L'Artisan Parfumeur

No comments: